Senior Workers' Compensation Manager
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
We are looking for an experienced Sr. Workers’ Compensation Manager. You will join a team of experienced claims professionals and will lead a team responsible for the oversight of our WC TPA to ensure we provide the best possible claim outcome and that the customers’ interests are protected.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage performance of third-party administrator (TPA) on Next WC claims, including holding them accountable to defined service level agreements
- Works closely with TPA on staffing needs and forecasts of growth to ensure appropriate staffing at all times
- Represents the company in WC discussions with reinsurers and other key external partners
- Ability to analyze lifetime care programs and effectively reserve those cases
- Work closely with engineering and product on compliance matters and key state demands
- Engage in roundtable discussions as needed to review specific files and/or general themes with TPA
- Create, analyze and deliver reports to key claim personnel related to WC claims as well as TPA performance
- Identify and present trends and updates on WC product performance to other members of management and insurance product leaders
- Ability to track performance and identify trends while clearly demonstrating the ability to prioritize tasks
- Handle reserve and authority requests from partners related to WC claims
- Report large loss notifications to relevant stakeholders and collaborate as needed with our reinsurer(s)
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting from TPAs on a monthly basis
- Research and respond to general requests and inquiries from internal stakeholders, TPAs, agents & insureds about processes and policy information within required turnaround times
- Lead the development and documentation of internal/external processes, policies & procedures related to WC claims handling
- Work closely with Next Sr. Leadership on LOB-specific strategy
- Assist with the selection of legal, key medical personnel, and other experts
What We Need
- 15+ years of WC claims handling, with at least 5 years of leadership experience in Worker’s Compensation
- Strong technical knowledge of coverage and claims handling procedures
- Strong written and oral communication skills required as well as strong interpersonal, analytical, investigative, and negotiation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products, as well as substantial comfort and willingness to learn new systems and tools (both proprietary and off-the-shelf)
- Candidates must have, or be able to promptly obtain a Independent Adjuster License as needed to handle Workers’ Compensation in multiple jurisdictions
- Multi-State Claims experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Vendor management skills
- Achieved or working towards any of the following designations: CPCU, PCLS/PCLA, SPPA, AIC2
- Outstanding attention to detail, organization, multi-tasking, problem-solving, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Excellent writing and communication abilities.
- Ability to understand claims adjudication processes and claim law and jurisdictional issues
- Investigative abilities; negotiating, conflict resolution, and persuasion abilities; trustworthiness, integrity, and personal accountability and adherence to standards of ethical behavior and professional conduct; keen service orientation and ability to grasp and prioritize varying needs (internal and external)
- Bachelor’s required, Master’s degree preferred
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.