Head of Product Design
Location: Palo Alto, CA (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
We're growing fast and are looking for a talented & passionate Head of Product Design to build/scale a world-class product design team that will ensure Next’s end-to-end product experience is an industry example of customer-centric innovation, creativity, and boldness. This is a highly visible leadership position that will interact at all levels in order to deliver products that solve real problems for small businesses. Our product’s success hinges on a great user experience. If you're obsessed with the customer experience and want to work on products that can impact millions of small businesses, we'd love to talk with you.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and scale a world-class product design team within the first year, including managers
- Own large design initiatives end-to-end, from ideation and research to pixel-perfect execution for new and existing products and features
- Evaluate our current practices and routines to ensure we appropriately research, review and iterate
- Collaborate closely with company leaders, creative leads, agencies, product managers, engineering, and other relevant company departments
What We Need:
- 10+ years of experience in product design and 5+ working as a design leader for consumer or SMB products (preferably at a high-growth startup)
- Proven experience with attracting talent and building/managing large design teams (including managers)
- Strong ability to cultivate and drive a product design vision, along with a clean UX design sense as it applies to building and maintaining a seamless user experience
- An understanding and appreciation of the design process and design patterns but also the ability to work fast and deviate
- Ability to operate in a startup environment and make maximum impact with available resources
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.