Associate General Counsel, Corporate
Location: Palo Alto, CA (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
The Next Insurance Legal Department is seeking a highly experienced corporate attorney, with a proven track record, and superb managerial skills to join our highly collaborative team. This is a key position, reporting directly to the General Counsel, managing the department budget, leading top-notch teams and working closely with senior executives across the organization.
The Associate General Counsel, Corporate Affiars provides legal advice and counsel on multiple subject matter issues to internal partners at all levels within the Next’s various business units and supports day-to-day initiatives as well as long-term strategies. The role is also responsible for drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating a broad range of corporate and commercial agreements including collaboration, services, licensing, consulting, research collaboration, and data-related agreements as well as all privacy initiatives and corporate governance issues.
What You’ll Do:
- Corporate Governance
- Advise senior management on corporate governance matters and ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and industry best practices
- Draft and review corporate policies, procedures, and internal governance documents
- Assist in the preparation and filing of corporate documents, such as board resolutions, shareholder agreements, and annual reports
- Develop and conduct training programs on corporate governance and corporate compliance matters
- Advise on compliance with public securities laws and regulations, including Securities Act, Exchange Act, and related SEC rules and regulations
- Prepare and review securities filings, including registration statements, periodic reports, proxy statements, and Section 16 filings
- Ensure compliance with disclosure obligations, including material events, insider transactions, and public communication requirements
- Stay updated with changes in securities laws and regulations and advise on their impact on the company's public securities compliance
- Corporate Finance and Capital Markets:
- Provide legal support in capital raising activities, including public and private offerings of securities, debt issuances, and equity investments
- Assist in the negotiation and documentation of financing transactions, including term sheets, loan agreements, and security agreements
- Collaborate with external counsel, investment bankers, and underwriters in the structuring and execution of capital market transactions
- Ensure compliance with securities laws in connection with capital market activities, including due diligence and regulatory filings
- Employment Law:
- Advise the company on a wide range of employment-related matters, including hiring, employee contracts, terminations, discrimination, harassment, non-compete agreements, and employee benefits
- Develop, review, and revise employment policies, procedures, and handbooks to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations
- Provide legal guidance on workplace investigations, disciplinary actions, and employee grievances
- Stay updated with changes in employment laws and regulations and ensure the company's practices remain compliant
- Provide legal support for a wide range of transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, and financing transactions
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of contracts and agreements, such as vendor agreements, customer agreements, and partnership agreements
- Conduct due diligence reviews and analysis of target companies, including contracts, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, external counsel, and stakeholders to ensure smooth execution of transactions
- Privacy and Data Protection:
- Advise on privacy and data protection laws, including but not limited to CCPA, and other relevant regulations
- Maintain privacy policies, terms of service, and data protection agreements
- Conduct privacy impact assessments and ensure compliance with data breach notification requirements
- Provide legal guidance on data transfer agreements, data processing agreements, and cross-border data transfers
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure data privacy considerations are embedded in business processes and product development
- Intellectual Property and Technology:
- Provide legal advice and support on intellectual property matters, including trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets
- Conduct intellectual property due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, and licensing deals
- Assist in the protection and enforcement of the company's intellectual property rights
What We Need:
- JD and admission to a state bar association in the United States in good standing
- 10 -15+ years of experience with significant experience with most or all of the areas of corporate securities, commercial contracts, employment and intellectual property
- Understanding of corporate governance matters
- Experience with emerging technologies and financial services / financial technology industries
- P&C Insurance experience a plus
- Excellent analytical and oral and written communications skills, with the ability to work as a team player and effectively communicate effectively across a number of diverse internal groups
- Superior judgment with the ability to understand materiality, criticality and urgency of new and ongoing issues and prioritize them as appropriate within a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment, providing clarity and direction to the team and others throughout the company
- Ability to find creative solutions to issues, taking a pragmatic, commercial approach in balancing legal risks against business interests
- Ability to appropriately triage a heavy workflow, set clear priorities and expectations with clients, and efficiently deliver results
- Ability to operate with limited supervision on moderately complex projects.
- Ability to independently discern and establish priorities
- Experience creating, managing and meeting budgets as well as managing outside counsel
- Demonstrated integrity, respect and ability to listen with a proven ability to attract, retain and develop talented professionals and lead a cohesive and high functioning team that delivers outstanding results
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.