Senior Software Engineer-Java (Remote)
Remote · United States
Posted on Wednesday, November 2, 2022
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,600+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
OpenGov seeks an experienced senior software engineer to develop key portions of its Budgeting & Planning (B&P) Suite. Government’s primary function is to provide services to its constituents, and this is done by creating an operating plan and an associated budget to execute that plan. B&P is the flagship product at OpenGov as well as the market leader with more than 400 customers, the highest Cumulative Annual Recurring Revenue, and the highest Average Selling Price (ASP) in the industry. B&P is able to scale for governments from as little as $30M in annual budget or as much as $1B+.
The Senior Software Engineer is a key member of our engineering team. They will architect, design, implement, test, deploy and monitor new components, features and improvements in a fast-paced, agile environment using cloud-native computing frameworks to drive our mission.
• Architect, design, and develop robust APIs and microservices using Java to serve over 100k daily users across hundreds of customer communities
• Own the end-to-end product lifecycle including collaboration with Product, Design, and Customer Success stakeholders
• Deliver iterative improvements including performance to realize the product vision and roadmap plans
• Using an API-first approach, developing REST and GraphQL microservices that communicate with the OpenGov event-driven platform for Data & Reporting services as well as integrate with customer systems
• Participate in the CI/CD and DevOps automation initiatives to build, test, deploy, and operate on industry-leading platforms & tools including AWS Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker, GitHub, GitHub Actions, Sonar, Spinnaker, NewRelic, etc.
• Act as a key contributor to continuously improve the way the team collaborates and delivers while elevating the quality and business value of the product as well as the technical innovation and excellence standards of the team
• Mentor and help junior members of the team to grow their careers by providing technical guidance and best practices coaching
Requirements and Preferred Experience
• 6+ years of professional Java experience and track record of developing high-quality scalable code in a self-organized Agile environment required
• 4+ years delivering software using an agile methodology, especially Scrum preferred
• Experience building heavily utilized at-scale consumer-facing enterprise SaaS software required
• Experience building systems using event-driven architectures preferably using Kafka
• Experience with cloud-native software development and delivery with a clear understanding of the standard architecture patterns and design practices surrounding Cloud services and deployments required
• Success building APIs, architected database models including SQL and NoSQL, and event-driven patterns required
• Familiar with infrastructure as code using Terraform
• Familiar with CI/CD patterns and Kubernetes cluster deployment
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,600+ governments (and counting) using our products and seven acquisitions in the past six years! Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
See more open positions at OpenGov
Something looks off?