Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Dubuque, IA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
The Sr. Site Reliability Engineer II will lead a highly-skilled team that combines software and systems engineering, to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems for managing local governments’ assets and infrastructure. This role and its team will be responsible for ensuring that OpenGov’s cloud services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to customers' needs, and at a fast rate of improvement. Additionally, SREs are responsible for constant monitoring of OpenGov’s systems capacities and performance.
• Build and develop software and writing automation
• Manage highly available cloud infrastructure for continuous integration, automated software releases, infrastructure automation, and monitoring
• Monitor and maintain infrastructure and applications
• Administer, support, and troubleshoot Microsoft Windows and Linux servers
• Provide operational services that are foundational to the product architecture in terms of usage across multiple products, such as Kafka, Authorization/Authentication, and MongoDB
• Lead deployment aspects related to schema migrations, security (e.g. secrets management), reliability, and scalability
• Provide incident response support, troubleshooting of production systems, including optimization to their performance, scale, utilization, and costs
Requirements and Preferred Experience:
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent required
• Minimum 6 – 8 years industry experience with 5 years as an SRE engineer in SaaS companies required
• Ability to find, diagnose, troubleshoot and solve issues at any level of the stack or within the organization
• Experience building highly-available and reliable software
• Ability to easily identify potential issues with resource exhaustion, latency, traffic patterns, and errors
• Excellent understanding of monitoring and scaling Windows Servers in production on public clouds
• Experience with AWS and their APIs
• Development and administration experience on Linux environment with distributions like Debian and Ubuntu
• Programming skills in languages like Java/Python/Ruby/Go/C/C++
• Demonstrable experience in creating high-performance and highly scalable services
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Exhibit a good balance between strategic direction and tactical execution
• Possess a strong orientation towards delivering results incrementally
• Demonstrate a sense of high-level ownership and proactively get involved with stakeholder discussions
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.