Senior Engineering Manager
Portland, OR, USA
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
OpenGov seeks a mission-driven, customer-focused technical leader to lead our Permitting Licensing and Code Enforcement suite engineering organization. Our suite serves 500+ local, county, and city governments with the best-in-class Cloud native portals for government employees and public citizens to fulfill their permitting, licensing, inspections, and code enforcement needs, among many other civic engagement use cases.
The engineering organization contains multiple self-organized and fully autonomous teams. It is a highly motivated and skilled group of engineers across frontend, backend, data, Cloud, DevOps, CICD, and Test Automation skill sets.
What You’ll Do:
• Act as a coach, leader, and motivator for the entire engineering team across geographic locations
• Provide growth opportunities for individuals to sustain engagement, productivity, and career advancement
• Cohesively build team engagement and working relationships within and outside the R&D organization.
• Partner closely with product stakeholders to influence team priorities and roadmap for both customer impact and technical innovation
• Plan and execute software development feature roadmap within and across teams. You will bring proven pace/intensity, proactiveness, and execution chops from working in product companies in the high growth stage.
• Drive the direction of the technical work streams for stability, security, performance, and scale.
• Develop and iterate on processes and practices that keep your team executing smoothly.
• Hold yourself and others accountable to a positive attitude, org alignment, and high-impact results. Lead by example and foster our culture of respect and ownership.
• 15+ years of professional experience in software development and delivery, specifically in product engineering companies and in high-growth startups.
• 5+ years in management of high-performing engineering teams, with a proven track record of building, growing, scaling, and engaging the engineering organization to meet customer growth
• A strong work culture of cross-team collaboration across the organization with Product and Design as well as business stakeholders in go-to-market teams
• Experience in leading large-scale, multi-tenant, and mission-critical enterprise software technology transformations.
• Hands-on experience with all aspects of software development, including development, quality, deployment, monitoring, and operations
• Continuous learning mindset to learn, educate and adopt cutting-edge technologies fit for purpose.
• Professional experience with modern cloud computing (AWS) and microservices architectures, single page applications (React, Node) + hybrid mobile apps (React Native), TDD, test automation, CICD (GH Actions, Argo, Sonar) and DevOps (k8s, Helm)
• 5+ years of experience building modern Frontend Single Page Apps with React, Redux, and GraphQL technologies
• 3+ years of experience with DevOps concepts, including developing CI/CD pipelines with
• 3+ years of experience with modern quality practices such as TDD, automated testing, and performance testing using tools like Playwright, k6 and Pact.io
• Familiarity with cloud-native (AWS, Azure, GCP) and mobile architecture and design principles and best practices; experience with Kubernetes a plus
• Familiarity with relational, NoSQL, and cache data concepts; experience with Redis, Microsoft SQL Server, CockroachDB/Postgres a plus
• Familiarity with software observability tools such as Grafana
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.