Director of Brand & Communications
Marketing & Communications
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
The Director of Brand & Communications is responsible for company branding and corporate communications including the development and implementation of brand strategy, comms strategy, along with a broad and diverse range of business and marketing communications initiatives.
Director of Brand & Communication Responsibilities:
• Drive the vision and strategy for the OpenGov press, analyst, and social media program
• Develop and execute programs to generate press and awareness at the local, state, and national level
• Manage internal design team to create consistent branding across web, social, conferences, partners, and sales enablement
• Develop executive thought leadership programs, including CEO bylines and speaking opportunities
• Manage voice of the customer programs, including customer speaking engagements for both internal events and industry conferences
• Manage social media channels, setting objectives and working with other teams to ensure a continuous flow of relevant content
• Work with marketing and product teams to execute impactful product and solution launches
• Work with customers to launch OpenGov initiatives at local, state, and national level, including developing materials to help customers at all levels successfully communicate their success to the press
• Maintain a deep understanding of government and technology industry trends, media landscape, and industry influencers
• Analyze and evaluate share of voice performance and provide strategic recommendations for better communications and supporting operations
Requirements & Preferred Experience:
• 6+ years relevant progressive communications and PR and social media experience required. agency and in-house experiences preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related discipline strongly preferred
• Experience working with customers and executives on thought leadership content development and placement
• Experience working with national and local press
• Experience working with all types of influencers, including media, bloggers, social influencers and advocates
• Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects across multiple markets in a fast-paced, start-up environment with aggressive deadlines and a high level of ambiguity
• Proactive and creative problem-solver with exceptional EQ, critical thinking, communication skills, and ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.