Portland, OR, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
The Software Engineer I at OpenGov is primarily responsible for the development of an industry-leading, top-tier SaaS solution that enhances efficiency, transparency, and accountability within government agencies. This position is a vital component of our engineering team, tasked with delivering new platform capabilities, features, and enhancements within a fast-paced environment. Utilizing contemporary frontend technologies is crucial to advancing our mission of supporting essential community functions worldwide. The day-to-day duties in this role encompass collaborative teamwork, innovative problem-solving, and hands-on development. Success in this position is predicated on adept collaboration within the team and across functions, as well as the ability to swiftly acquire and apply new technologies.
• Architect and develop code for a system composed of robust microservices employing node.js, coupled with a contemporary React UI, serving a substantial user base exceeding 100,000 daily users across multiple customer communities
• Collaborate seamlessly within cross-functional Agile teams to conceptualize, design, implement, and test high-caliber platform features and capabilities
• Contribute to the entirety of the software development lifecycle, encompassing ideation, design, implementation, and ongoing maintenance
• Craft clean, maintainable, and efficient code, spanning both frontend and backend systems
• Execute iterative enhancements, delivering performant code to bring the product vision and roadmap to fruitio
• Facilitate code reviews, testing, and the deployment of high-quality, sustainable code.
• Act as an integral part of a team responsible for the end-to-end product lifecycle, including close collaboration with Product, Design, and other stakeholders focused on customer success
• Play a pivotal role in nurturing OpenGov's Engineering culture, marked by innovation, the adoption of leading-edge technologies, and unwavering quality
• Contribute significantly to an ever-evolving team, continually seeking improved collaboration and delivery methods while elevating the standards of technical innovation and excellence
Requirements and Preferred Experience:
• A bachelor's degree (BA/BS) in a computer-science-related discipline or equivalent professional experience is required.
• Familiarity with backend frameworks and databases, such as Node.js and PostgreSQL, is preferred.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are indispensable.
• The ability to swiftly acquire proficiency in new software and technologies is a fundamental requirement.
• Experience working collaboratively within a team to tackle complex challenges under time constraints is advantageous.
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.