Director of Security
San Francisco, CA, USA · Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
The Director of Security is a pivotal leadership role responsible for safeguarding our assets, personnel, and operations through strategic security management. This position shapes and executes a comprehensive security strategy, covering cybersecurity, security architecture, cloud security, and application security. Collaborating closely with the Director of Compliance, this role ensures alignment with regulatory requirements and serves as the internal authority on cybersecurity matters. The Director leads the development and implementation of robust security policies, driving continuous improvement and innovation in security strategies.
• Lead the strategic planning, development, and implementation of our organization's cybersecurity initiatives, security architecture, cloud security, and application security practices within the context of serving local governments through SaaS solutions
• Lead teams of security professionals in their day-to-day work, while working with peers across the organization to develop an understanding of the business and ensure progress on security initiatives
• Serve as the key authority and Subject Matter Expert in cybersecurity, guiding the team and organization towards best practices and informed decision-making.
• Align our security programs with common frameworks, such as NIST CSF and MITRE
• Manage security vendor relationships, including software and services
• Oversee the design and implementation of robust security architecture, ensuring the integration of security measures across our technology landscape
• Direct the implementation and maintenance of security controls to safeguard sensitive information and company assets
• Collaborate with IT and security teams to identify, assess, and mitigate security risks and vulnerabilities
• Act as a technical leader, actively participating in solution design and providing guidance to your team in implementing security measures
• Stay informed about emerging threats, vulnerabilities, and trends in cybersecurity, applying this knowledge to proactively enhance our security posture
• Partner closely with the Director of Compliance to ensure that security measures align with regulatory requirements and industry standards while working together to address security challenges
• Foster a culture of security awareness and ensure ongoing education for employees and stakeholders
Requirements and Preferred Experience:
• Demonstrated track record of leadership in the design and implementation of security strategies, ideally in a directorial or senior leadership capacity, within the SaaS industry.
• Highly desirable certifications in security governance and/or technical expertise, such as CISSP, OWASP, CISM, CCSP, AWS Certified Security – Specialty, or equivalents.
• Extensive experience in leading security initiatives in a complex environment, covering cybersecurity, security architecture, cloud security, and application security.
• Hands-on experience securing cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP) and a strong understanding of cloud-native security controls.
• Demonstrated ability to manage security incidents and responses, including sensitive systems, with a focus on minimizing impact and facilitating recovery.
• Strong technical background with in-depth knowledge of security protocols, principles, and common threat detection and mitigation techniques.
• Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to address complex security challenges effectively while catering to the needs of local government clients.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to foster collaboration with cross-functional teams.
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.