Senior Software Engineer
Posted on Monday, September 4, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
The Senior Software Engineer plays a pivotal role in developing cutting-edge SaaS solutions that drive efficiency, transparency, and accountability within government agencies. This position is a linchpin within OpenGov's data platform and our expansive R&D organization, providing the bedrock upon which all OpenGov applications are constructed. The incumbent will lead the charge in conceiving new features using a modern tech stack while also establishing and upholding stringent standards for the team, ensuring the performance, scalability, reliability, and observability of our products.
• Spearhead the development of robust, high-availability cloud software, instrumental to fulfilling OpenGov’s mission
•Be an integral part of a culture-driven, globally dispersed team
• Advocate for continuous improvement and the adoption of best practices within the teamFoster collaborative relationships with stakeholders from Design, Product Management, and Engineering departments
• Provide comprehensive support, troubleshooting, and monitoring of production systems
• Architect resilient APIs and services engineered to perform at scale
• Contribute actively to the build, testing, and deployment processes using technologies such as AWS, Kubernetes, and Docker
• Assume a leadership role in projects and continuously refine team collaboration and delivery methodologies
Requirements and Preferred Experience:
• A minimum of 5 years of hands-on coding and software design experience
• A minimum of 3 years of experience with a modern, high-level programming language, with Java (our primary language), Ruby, Python, etc.
• A minimum of 3 years of professional experience working with both relational and non-relational databases
• Proficiency in source control systems (Git) and familiarity with common CI platforms (e.g., Jenkins, GitHub Actions)
• Proven experience in designing and constructing microservices interconnected through stream processing; experience with Kafka is preferred
• Exceptional communication skills with an unwavering commitment to transparency
• Proven experience working collaboratively within an agile team framework (Scrum or Kanban)
• Proficiency in AWS and a track record in constructing large-scale, consumer-facing enterprise SaaS software
• Demonstrated expertise in designing and developing REST APIs;
• Experience with GraphQL APIs is a plus
• Familiarity with domain-driven design is advantageous
• Knowledge of cloud-native software development, including scaling strategies (horizontal vs. vertical) and cloud deployment approaches, is beneficial
• Experience in architecting systems that employ both relational and non-relational database models is an asset
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.