Principal/Staff Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2023
OpenGov is home to an exceptional team - passionate about our mission to power more effective and accountable government. By bringing the OpenGov Cloud to our nation's state and local government, we’re transforming communities so they can thrive!
Imagine yourself being able to help small business owners open their doors faster, ensuring our tax dollars are accounted for, creating safer infrastructure, modernizing the permitting process, and assisting with disaster recovery. The work you do here every day has a meaningful impact on people's lives!
🌟 OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes America's Best Startup Employer. OpenGov is a high growth, late stage venture backed startup with investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective. Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world). 🌟
Join our smart, fun, and humble team to experience the most rewarding career of your life!
As a Principal or Staff Software Engineer at OpenGov you’ll design and build a groundbreaking, multi-tenant SaaS product for governments. You’ll be a pioneering member of our engineering team partnering with an experienced Software Architect to redefine how we build, with artificial intelligence and a cutting edge tech stack. This project is just the beginning. Once we build a rock-solid team, we’ll replicate our success with another product and empower other teams to leverage our proven methods. You'll help lead this effort, applying the insights and skills you've gained to new solutions.
We believe you’ll love working with us. This position is a fast-paced, high-growth opportunity with fresh challenges and complex problems. Our collaborative culture values each individual's unique skills and perspectives. Together we’ll build something meaningful and have a genuine impact on our nation’s governments.
• Design and build an efficient, scalable cloud-hosted SaaS product for governments
• Partner with a Software Architect to steer the project's architecture and code, and redefine how we build with artificial intelligence, a cutting edge tech stack, and modern patterns
• Collaborate with a product manager, designer, and architect to develop requirements, technical and UX designs, and test plans
• Write high quality code independently, and collaborate with and mentor engineers via code review and/or pair programming
• Deploy, monitor, and support the systems you’ve developed, and train others to do the same
• An entrepreneurial mindset: self-driven, accountable, and a passionate team player
• A dedication to craft: high quality code and forward thinking technical design are essential
• Able to communicate technical and complex topics clearly
• Experience as a tech lead, architect, or engineering manager
• Experience with and interest in both Object Oriented and Functional programming
• Deep experience building both Single Page Apps and APIs
• Deep experience with TypeScript
• Experience with Node.js
• Experience with React
• Experience with PostgreSQL or similar SQL databases
• Experience with GraphQL
• Experience with Kafka
• Experience with modern DevOps tooling such as Kubernetes, ArgoCD, Grafana, GitHub Actions
• Experience with AI and LLMs esp. Retrieval Augmented Generation and similar systems
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, late stage venture backed startup, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Awarded Top 25 Cloud Companies to Work For, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, annual wellness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.